Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Proposal

I thought today I'd write about how Steve propsed! It was such a surprise to me, not that he proposed but the time and place he'd chosen to do it.
I'd invited a few friends from back home in Upland to come down to San Clemente for a re-run of a bonfire night that we had back in July. It was just as successful (if not more-so) than the first: I didn't have to run to Wal-mart last minute to buy a BBQ because all the pits were taken. We shared a bonfire pit that night with another family, but had a great time roasting weenies and making smores. No bonfire is complete with out smores!
Steve told me his legs were sore from "PT" (physical training) all week, and asked me if I wanted to go with him for a walk down the beach, so I went with him.
Of course as we walked I started to complain, "how far are we going to walk?" (walking on sand makes my ankles hurt after a while) and "I have to pee!" (I was drinking a Coke). We
walked a little further down the beach, and it was such a warm night we stopped to stand at the point where the incoming waves barely lap your toes because we were both wearing rolled-up jeans. Then he says,
"You know I love you right?"
"Yes of course I know that."
Silence.
"Well, there's something I've been wanting to ask you for a long time."
"Oh yeah what's that?"
"Will you be my wife?" :-D
"Yes! Of course!"
"Good because I have a ring for you."
And lots of hugs and kisses followed.
We headed back down the beach to where my friends were hanging out by the bonfire pit and I told them that Steve had proposed on our walk.
I received lots of hugs (Vanessa squeezed me for about 10 minutes), and even an exclamation from Mallory, "I LOVE love!"
I even got a little wedding planning advice from Lisa and Sean, who are engaged to be married next spring.
I didn't cry, at least until the next day when I told my mom, and even I was surprised about that!
I figure since I was too retarded and totally forgot to take pictures, and no one was around when he proposed to take any anyway, I would describe it in detail for everyone to paint a picture in their mind.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot, he didn't get down on one knee, we were standing in the water, but right after I said yes a big wave came and got us both all soaked up to our knees! Hehehe!

2 comments: